The Disaster, also known as the Armor of Catastrophe (災禍の鎧, Saika no Yoroi), is a sentient Enhanced Armament that was created by combining two Enhanced Armaments – the Destiny, one of the Seven Arcs; and Star Caster, a sword dropped from the Enemy Jormungand – via the Incarnate System. It is the main antagonist of the second arc of Accel World.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The appearance of the Armor varies from user to user.
History[edit | edit source]
In the early days of Accel World, there was a tyrant named Chrome Disaster who terrorized the Accelerated World. When the Seven Kings of Pure Color put an end to him, as Brain Burst uninstalled, Chrome Disaster proclaimed that his legacy would return to haunt Accel World. His words proved true, as his Enhanced Armament, the Armor of Catastrophe, remained intact despite his losing of Brain Burst and came to possess the next Burst Linker it came into contact with, creating even more carnage. The Armor possessed four different Burst Linkers before finally being destroyed by Black Lotus. Unbeknownst to everyone, Yellow Radio secretly acquired the Armor for later use.
In 2047, Yellow Radio gave the Armor to Cherry Rook, the Parent of Scarlet Rain, the current Red King, who was desperate to level up because he was leaving Tokyo in the real world. This new Chrome Disaster began causing the same level of chaos, threatening to break the truce all legions abode by. It was Yellow Radio's intention to have Chrome Disaster attack his legion. By the terms of the truce, if the offender was not dealt with by their respective legion, the victim could choose a substitute from said legion as penance. It was suspected that Yellow Radio was going after Scarlet Rain to get to Level 10. At the same time, Scarlet Rain sought out the aid of the Nega Nebulus, specifically Silver Crow, to contain the monster, as the current Chrome Disaster was capable of leaping great distances. It was defeated, however, a part of the Armor was embedded in Silver Crow's back.
The Armor manifested itself partially during Silver Crow's second match with Dusk Taker. After the match, the Armor's consciousness infiltrated his dreams in an effort to corrupt him.
In Volume 5, it fully manifested itself during the Hermes Cord Race. It went on a rampage while slowly corrupting Silver Crow's consciousness. Lime Bell used her Citron Call ability to forcefully remove the Armor. However, it still remained in Silver Crow's inventory.
In Volume 7, Silver Crow learned the full history of the armor via a dream sequence while stuck inside the Imperial Palace in the Unlimited Neutral Field. It was created by Chrome Falcon's despair when his lover, Saffron Blossom, died due to a betrayal orchestrated by the Acceleration Research Society.
In Volume 8, Silver Crow managed to equip the original form of «The Destiny» during his fight with Cyan Pile, who was infected by the ISS Kit. However, the Beast stopped the process midway. As a result, «The Destiny» only covered his right arm.
In Volume 9, Silver Crow managed to bond with the Armor while fighting Green Grandé and Iron Pound, after saving Ash Roller. Believing that he had become one with the Armor, he believed that purification would be useless and planned to run away, but was stopped by Black Lotus. After a two-versus-one fight against Black Vise with Black Lotus, he reunited Saffron Blossom and Chrome Falcon. The hatred, anger, and violence diminished, causing the Armor to split into the two original items, destroying the cycle of disaster. Later on, Silver Crow, along with the rest of Nega Nebulus, went to the site where Saffron Blossom had died and where the first Chrome Disaster was born. They found a key to the house belonging to the couple and left «The Destiny» and «Star Caster» there as a proper burial and storage site. Before leaving, Silver Crow gave thanks to Chrome Falcon and Saffron Blossom, promising to carry on their will before saying goodbye.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
In tandem with its inherent protective capabilities, the Armor also possesses numerous abilities, which include the use of the Incarnate System.
- Drain – An ability inherent to the Disaster. It drains the health of another avatar to replenish its wearer's.
- Divination – An ability inherent to the Disaster. This ability extrapolates from the experience of past battles to predict enemy attacks. Information about the attacks will be displayed, including the trajectory, attributes, and threat level.
- Flash Blink – A Special Move of Chrome Falcon's, the first Chrome Disaster. It allows the wearer to teleport to places connected to their current location within their line of sight, by transforming their body into a collection of massless particles. This renders them immune to physical and gravitational attacks.
- Flame Breath – An ability of Magnesium Drake's, the second Chrome Disaster. It allows the wearer to breathe fire. The fire can set enemies alight, and the fire will continue to cause damage until it is extinguished.
- Wire Hook – An ability of Cherry Rook's, the fifth Chrome Disaster. It allows the wearer to fire ultrafine steel wires out of their palms, which turn into hooks after hitting the target. The wearer can then pull the target to them. If the target is immobile, or has their own source of propulsion, the wires pull the wearer towards them instead. This ability has quite a long range.
- Aviation – An ability of Silver Crow's, the sixth Chrome Disaster. As the name suggests, it allows the wearer to fly, using up the Special Guage. The wings can be brought out without using up SG. They look different from Silver Crow's default wings, and has sharp hooks on the ends.
Enhanced Armaments[edit | edit source]
- Star Caster – A longsword inherent to the Disaster.
Users[edit | edit source]
The Chrome Disaster possessed a total of six Burst Linkers.
Consciousness[edit | edit source]
The Armor's consciousness, referred to as the Beast by Silver Crow, is the amalgam of the personalities and experiences of all the users of the Armor, using Chrome Falcon's consciousness as its base. It is aggressive and bloodthirsty in nature, continually corrupting any user it possesses. It uses telepathy to communicate with its users.
The consciousness disappeared when the Armor was finally purified back to its original components by Ardor Maiden.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Acceleration Research Society later attempted to recreate the Disaster, creating the Disaster Mk. II using Scarlet Rain's Invincible and negative incarnation generated from the many ISS Kits.