Chiyuri Kurashima (倉嶋 千百合, Kurashima Chiyuri) is a childhood friend of Haru and Taku. Fearing that they were growing apart and having learned of Brain Burst, she had Taku give her his copy of the program and subsequently became the Burst Linker Lime Bell (ライム・ベル, Raimu Beru).
Chiyuri is very caring, especially to Takumu and Haruyuki as she cares for them both, hoping that they will be able to remain friends. She also poses a quick temper and can become at quite pushy and scary if angered. She is quite the glutton, loving to eat and cook foods often and is obsessed with the notion of a "healthy diet" as seen when she often pesters Haruyuki to eat home cooked meals and eat less microwaved foods.
She is also forgiving as she was able to forgive Takumu and Haruyuki after they told her everything about Brain Burst, the duel between the two of them and their feelings of each other (though it required appealing to her gluttonous side, I.e. buying her food to finally settle things). She harbors romantic feelings towards Haruyuki which the latter is unaware of. She used to go out with Takumu because she was urged by Haruyuki.
Chiyuri has been friends with Takumu and Haruyuki ever since they were children. The three of them were very close to each other and still are. During the time that they entered middle school, Chiyuri decided to start a relationship with Takumu, at Haruyuki's urging. She did so in order to ensure that the three remain close.
Chiyuri has pale pink eyes and brown hair. She wears a pin that is shaped like a cat's face in her hair. She wears the standard school uniform that consists of a white dress shirt, a light blue blazer on top of it and wears a green bow-tie. She also carries a yellow duffle bag around her shoulder.
Return of the Black Snow Princess Arc
Chiyuri is first introduced finding Haruyuki playing squash during the lunch hour and expressing her desire that he play with her and the others, and is astounded that he is dominating the high score list. She logs out and forces him to do the same, and reveals that she followed him all the way to the boys' bathroom. Chiyuri offers Haruyuki some food, but Haruyuki, rejecting it more forcefully than he intended, accidentally causes her to drop it on the floor, leaving her in tears.
After school the next day, Chiyuri notices that Haruyuki is bandaged from where Araya hit him, and they walk home together for the first time since they started junior high. They encounter Takumu on the way home, and Takumu inadvertently reveals that he knows about Chiyuri giving Haruyuki sandwiches in spite of his making her remain silent about the bullying.
After Haruyuki defeats Ash Roller, Chiyuri confronts Kuroyukihime at the gates of the school and accuses Kuroyukihime of meddling with Haruyuki. Kuroyukhime surprises Chiyuri by claiming that if Chiyuri is Haruyuki's friend, she's his girlfriend, at least partly as a ploy to gauge her reaction.
Haruyuki, in an attempt to prove to Kuroyukihime that Chiyuri is not Cyan Pile, goes to her home for proof. He is greeted by her mother, who says that Chiyuri is sad that he never comes over anymore, and Chiyuri angrily tells her mother to shut up. In spite of still being somewhat upset with Haruyuki, Chiyuri agrees to his request to "direct" with her, albeit while using a very short cable designed to hook up to a computer.
After Haru apologizes for ruining Chiyuri's lunch and says he was surprised Chiyuri and Takumu are a couple, Chiyuri says that she never told Takumu about giving him her lunch. Chiyuri says she feels guilty about not doing anything about the bullies out of fear of Haruyuki hating him, but says he's partly to blame, too. She says she started dating Takumu on Haruyuki's encouragement, so the three would remain friends but is frustrated that he is distancing himself from her while relying on Kuroyukihime, and Chiyuri is also jealous that he relies upon Kuroyukihime. As Haruyuki confesses his own self-loathing, Chiyuri says that he should have more confidence in himself, stop acting like Kuroyukihime's followers, and even become her boyfriend if he wishes. Meanwhile, Haru finds out that Chiyuri does not have Brain Burst installed, but does find a backdoor program that eventually helps him deduce Cyan Pile's identity.
After Haruyuki and Takumu's fight ends, they go to Chiyuri's house to tell her everything, and Chiyuri is initially skeptical. Upon learning about the backdoor program Takumu installed in her Neurolinker, Chiyuri becomes furious, chasing them out of her apartment and refusing to talk to them for a week, but forgiving them on the condition that they treat her to parfaits. In the end, they reconcile and go to the new Tokyo Tower together.
Return of the Black Snow Princess (Side Story)
Crimson Storm Princess Arc
Chiyuri sees Haruyuki leaving his apartment with Kuroyukihime, leading to a misunderstanding until Takumu speaks up. Chiyuri demands that they introduce her to Brain Burst, and says that she can meet whatever requirements it has.
Once Chiyuri has left, Kuroyukihime turns to Takumu asking if the two of them are a couple, and Takumu says that he doubts they will ever be one again. Takumu reveals that Chiyuri meets the first requirement for being a Burst Linker, as she wore a Neurolinker to communicate with her father, who had pharyngeal cancer. Kuroyukihime warns Takumu that Chiyuri has a low chance of becoming a Burst Linker and if she becomes Takumu's "child," if their relationship sours, it will cause problems in real life.
Dusk Robber Arc
Near the beginning, Takumu asks Chiyuri if she is certain that she wants to become a Burst Linker, and Chiyuri insists on it, saying that they need to have more fun with it. The installation succeeds.
Chiyuri has a conversation with Haruyuki over the Neurolinker while keeping it on as part of the required process. He spends some time on her home server, which has been expanded as a present to Chiyuri, and serves as her pillow like he used to.
At school, a new year has started, and Chiyuri, Haruyuki, and Takumu are all in the same class. Chiyu's avatar, Lime Bell, not only can destroy parts of the arena without suffering damage but can also restore others' life bars. Kuroyukihime is quite surprised to hear this and notices that her power is an incredibly valuable commodity in territory battles.
Chiyuri hears from Takumu that Seiji Noumi is a Burst Linker, one who was similar to how he used to be, but Chiyuri says that Takumu is different, having been motivated for her sake.
As a result of his Neurolinker being infected, Haruyuki accidentally stumbles into the girls' shower room, but Chiyuri keeps him hidden. While angry about what Haruyuki unwittingly did, Chiyuri is more disturbed by the things that people can do to others' Neurolinkers, and how far people like Noumi would go for what she considers to be just a game. She makes Haru promise to remain silent about the incident.
Chiyuri follows Haruyuki to his encounter with Noumi, and, upon learning that Noumi has blackmail material on Haruyuki from the incident, and says that she intends to prove that Haruyuki had a reason for being there. At that point, the camera is found and uses that as leverage to force Chiyuri to work for him. After Haruyuki fights Noumi and loses the duel and his wings, Chiyuri falls into despair, saying that Brain Burst is supposed to be a game.
The volume ends when Lime Bell heals Dusk Taker following his near-defeat by Silver Crow and Cyan Pile, revealing herself to be in league with him.
Flight Towards the Blue Sky Arc
Lime Bell watches with little visible reaction as Dusk Taker cuts down the confused and enraged Cyan Pile, only crying out for Silver Crow to stop after watching him begin attacking Taker with a surprising display of rage.
After the duel's end, Haruyuki and Takamu, believing that Chiyuri is only helping Noumi as part of his blackmail and theft of Haruyuki, attempt to convince her that if they work together that they can defeat him. Chiyuri instead claims that she has joined Noumi of her own free will in order to gain points in exchange for her healing ability. Though her friends don't believe she would do such a thing, Chiyuri insists that because they know each other's real identities that they should stay out of each other's way before departing.
Lime Bell accompanies Dusk Taker in his tag duels, enabling him to win every time and raise her points, allowing her to rapidly rise to level 4 after only a few days. Upon hearing this, and that she's been skipping on her club activities, Haruyuki goes to visit Chiyuri to try and appeal to her not to let Noumi control her real life. Though Chiyuri retorts that Haruyuki has often put Brain Burst before his real life, she decides not to argue further and instead expresses delight at her rapid rise in levels. Insisting that Noumi does not control her life outside of Brain Burst, Chiyuri removes her shirt and notes that Haruyuki could have her in the real world if she wanted. Baffled by her actions, Haruyuki departs, leaving Chiyuri after expressing his belief in her and that he will defeat Noumi to remove his control of her.
After hearing from Noumi about Haruyuki and Takamu challenging him to a sudden death duel, Chiyuri was ordered to pretend to defect back to her friends with the intention of having her heal Dusk Taker during the duel. Though she informed her friends of Noumi's orders, Chiyuri insisted on going with them into the Unlimited Neutral Field, being prepared to dive in before them and wait months until the duel started if they didn't let her. Takamu agrees to let her go with them, sharing Haruyuki's belief in Chiyuri.
After waiting for the time of the duel to be set, Chuyrui dived into the Unlimited Neutral Field to witness the final confrontation between Silver Crow, Cyan Pile and Dusk Taker. After Cyan Pile gets the advantage on Dusk Taker, however, the dusk robber grabbed Lime Bell and began torturing her until Pile agreed to stand down. After the arrival of Black Lotus, Silver Crow and Dusk Taker began an aerial battle (Silver Crow using a borrowed Enhanced Armament), but before Crow could land a finishing blow, Lime Bell used her Citron Call on Dusk Taker. Though his wounds healed, Dusk Taker was shocked when his wings disappeared and returned to Silver Crow, enabling him to be brought to the edge of defeat.
When Dusk Taker questioned how this had happened, Lime Bell explained that her ability was not actual healing; instead it was the ability to turn back time on an avatar, which was what allowed Dusk Taker's weapons to also be restored when she first healed him. Upon realising this, Chiyuri began working with Noumi only so that she could use him to raise the power of her Citron Call enough so that she could reverse time back on Dusk Taker to before he stole Silver Crow's wings.
After Dusk Taker is expelled from the Accelerated World, Black Lotus thanks Lime Bell, revealing that Chiyuri had informed her of the duel before they dove into the Unlimited Neutral Field, which enabled the Black King to appear in time. Now on good terms with Black Lotus, Lime Bell decides to join Nega Nebulus so that she can continue to be with her friends. Once they return to the real world, Chiyuri finally lets her pent-up stress and emotions show, and expresses her love for her two best friends.
Chiyuri's network avatar is based on her real world appearance wearing a white dress, with the addition of cat ears, gloves and shoes which look like a cat's paws, and a cat's tail.
Chiyuri's Duel Avatar is Lime Bell. Lime Bell has a more naturalistic body instead of being comprised of just metal. She is lime green, and wears a large green hat with a single leaf attached, as well as a yellow cape, giving her the appearance of a witch. The rest of her body is covered in light armor. However, her left arm is entirely made of metal in the shape of a bell, which is where she can fire her abilities from.. As a green avatar, Lime Bell is also amazingly resilient, capable of smashing objects in the Factory stage without taking damage. However, she has a weakness towards fire, possibly inheriting something other than the color from the "Lime" part of her name.
Lime Bell is one of 3 healer avatars in Brain Burst's history.
Her Parent is Cyan Pile, her childhood friend.
- Choir Chime – Lime Bell's Starter Armament. It takes the form of a large lime-colored bell replacing her left forearm, and is her main weapon. If it hits a target's head, it will even cause the target to hear a bell sound and become disoriented. All of her abilities are channelled through it.
- Acoustic Summon – A passive Ability of Lime Bell's. Her Choir Chime produces a ringing sound that persists even after she stops waving it, and the sound can summon nearby Enemies.
- Citron Call – Lime Bell's level 1 Special Move, which she poured her level 2 to 4 level-up bonuses into. Though initially believed to be a healing ability, Citron Call's true power is not to heal, but instead to reverse time on Lime Bell's opponents. While it has to be aimed, it can affect an area, as seen when she healed both Silver Crow and Trilead Tetroxide with one cast. However, it cannot affect level-up-related status changes, i.e. it cannot reverse the choice of level-up bonuses or level down a Duel Avatar to return BP. It also does not remove pain. Injuries will continue to hurt after reversed, until the sensation naturally subsides. It has two modes:
- Mode I – Citron Call Mode I measures changes based on the amount of time passed. Using up half of her Special Attack Gauge and spinning her arm in a circle twice, Lime Bell can reverse some amount of time on an object. While typically used to heal an ally, this has the drawback of often removing the ally's SP as well. It can also be used to remove SP from an enemy, or force them to unequip an Enhanced Armament. However, it also has niche uses such as reversing the Enemy-like entities in the Primeval Forest stage to an egg state.
- Mode II – Citron Call Mode II measures changes based on the number of changes to have taken place to a Duel Avatar, results from Lime Bell levelling up Citron Call. Using up all of her SP and spinning her arm in a circle four times, Lime Bell can reverse status changes such as parasitic status effects and Enhanced Armament transfers. However, it requires continuous aim, and only reverses 1 status change every 10 seconds, cancelling the latest one when interrupted. It interacts strangely with the Incarnate System, with Enhanced Armament-related status changes being reversible, such as the removal of ISS Kits or the Disaster Mk. II, but those that are unrelated are not, such as Sky Raker's legs.
- Although not stated in the anime or manga, her ability to reverse time, Citron Call, may have come from her desire to just spend time with Haruyuki and Takumu the way they did when they were children.
- It was later confirmed in a light novel that the above was just part of the reason. Another is her father whom she loved deeply was seriously ill.
- Her reason for why she wore the Neuro Linker since she was born was to be able to talk to her father who had throat cancer and had surgery which severely affected his ability to talk.
- She is one of the few Burst Linkers to actually have a loving family instead of neglectful ones like Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime or those who only cares about their child's studies like Takumu.
- Stephanie Sheh, the English voice actress for Chiyuri, also voices Yui from Sword Art Online.