Koshika Tsubomi (越賀 莟, Koshika Tsubomi) is a former member of the White Legion, Oscillatory Universe, and had held the prestigious rank of the Third of the Seven Dwarfs. She has recently left the legion, however, and is currently on the run with her Brain Burst “sister” Orchid Oracle.
- 1 Background
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Plot Outline
- 5 Avatar
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
- 9 « Characters »
Koshika was a Child of Saffron Blossom. Together with the other Children of Saffron, such as Centaurea Sentry, Lavender Downer, and Orchid Oracle to name a few, they were collectively known as the “Flowers” because of their similar names.
When Saffron Blossom was caught in Infinite Enemy Kill, White Cosmos told Oracle that she could revive her Parent once she finished her research. As such, Koshika and Oracle, oblivious to the truth of the situation, joined the White Legion under that pretense.
One day, Oracle disappeared as well. Koshika was extremely distressed and asked around the Legion about what had happened to her, but nobody was able to provide an answer. In the end, White Cosmos promised that she would revive Oracle someday, and Koshika continued to follow her command under this belief, eventually rising to the rank of the Third of the Seven Dwarfs.
Despite being a third-year junior high student, Koshika looks extremely young, almost like an elementary school student. She has short hair that reaches her chin, which one side covering her right eye.
Koshika is usually very calm and collected. In contrast to the other Dwarfs, she demonstrates kindness and mercy even to her enemies. For example, during the Nega Nebulus – Oscillatory Universe Territory Battle, she gave genuine warnings to Silver Crow, Trilead Tetroxide, and Lime Bell, advising them to escape before it was too late, as they faced certain death ahead. Similarly, she shows great respect to her opponents. After being defeated by a combination attack of Silver Crow and Trilead Tetroxide, she merely smiled in admiration for their efforts, closing her eyes and accepting her defeat.
Koshika cares greatly for her friends and has been shown to go to great lengths to help them. For example, in order to save her “sister” Orchid Oracle, she betrayed the White Legion in which she had held a prestigious position, risking the possibility of being hunted by her former comrades and losing Brain Burst.
White Legion Arc
During the unusual Territory Battle between the Black and White legions, Koshika stood guard over Orchid Oracle. Near the end of the conflict, she fought against Silver Crow and Trilead Tetroxide and was defeated by a combination attack in which Trilead cut through Crow’s body in order to reach her. Smiling at the beauty of their teamwork, she closed her eyes and accepted her defeat.
After the Territory Battles between Nega Nebulus and Oscillatory Universe, Koshika heard that Crow had told Oracle about how it was actually the White King who had caused the death of their Parent, Safforn Blossom. Wanting to see for herself whether this was true, she requested for the saint Amaterasu to bring her to the Highest Level to talk with Crow. Amaterasu agreed, and she was sent there shortly before the meeting of the Seven Kings.
There, hearing Crow’s narration of Saffron’s death, she was convinced of the truth of the incident after hearing that it had been Cosmos’ special ability “Resurrect by Compassion” that had forcefully revived Saffron over and over again to face death by the Legend class Enemy Jormungand.
Explaining to the Nega Nebulus legionnaires her deep connection with Oracle, she declared her intent to do what was necessary for Oracle’s sake. Thanking the three for their help, she exited the Highest Level.
Koshika arranged an in-person meeting with Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime in order to discuss the matter of Orchid Oracle, a.k.a. Wakamiya Megumi, who had been trapped within the Unlimited Neutral Field by the Acceleration Research Society. After visiting her unconscious body in the hospital, she decided to manually dive into the Unlimited Neutral Field to take Megumi’s body out through a portal.
Together with Haruyuki, they entered the Field, which was currently in the Moonlight stage. In hopes of tracking down Megumi’s location, Koshika used her ability Flower Divination, which had the function of leading her to whatever she needed most at the moment. Haruyuki offered to carry her using his flight ability, and the two flew in pursuit of Flower Divination’s petals.
The flowers stopped at the Tokyo Midtown Tower — the former base of the ISS Kit main body. Koshika and Haruyuki infiltrated the fortress, encountering an Einherjar, a Legend-class Enemy, on the way. After defeating it, they freed the two prisoners that the Enemy had been guarding. One of them was Megumi, and the other one was the Blacksmith — the mythical NPC who could upgrade Enhanced Armaments. With Koshika as the translator (the Blacksmith talked in “drone”), Haruyuki tried to enhance his Lucid Blade with heat resistance, but the cost was far too great for his modest sum of Burst Points. However, without batting an eye, Koshika paid the huge cost despite knowing that the weapon was to be used against the Sun God Inti.
Exiting the Unlimited Neutral Field with Megumi, Koshika and Haruyuki returned to the real world. After a brief delay, Megumi regained consciousness. Recognizing Koshika to be Rose Milady’s real-world identity, she called out to her. Weeping, Koshika wrapped her Brain Burst sister in an embrace.
After reuniting with Megumi, Koshika went with Kuroyukihime to Haruyuki’s house. There, they discussed what they should do, now that both Koshika and Megumi had resigned from the White Legion. Koshika initially suggested for them to simply join one of the mid-sized legions to avoid being attacked by Oscillatory Universe. However, Haruyuki was unhappy with this arrangement, and suggested for Koshika to instead join Nega Nebulus and request for Amaterasu to protect her when she was alone. In the end, the matter remained unresolved, but Koshika reminded Haruyuki to remember to bring cake for Amaterasu.
Koshika's Duel Avatar, as its name suggests, is a rose-colored lady in a rose-colored dress. She is covered in thorns, much like the stem of a rose, and importantly, has spines on the bottom of her feet that allow her to step on spiky terrain without being damaged. She can also choose to retract the spines.
Her Parent is Saffron Blossom.
- Unnamed whips – She has two whips, one growing from each hand, which she can retract. She is able to use them with great skill, such as grabbing something from within an Enemy's armor.
- Ornate Skewering — This special move restrains and damages her target. When activated, a rose-colored glow forms around her feet, then shoots along the floor until it reaches the target. Red vines then grow from underneath the target, limiting their movement. Once the vines reach the target's head, spines grow from the vines and into the target, dealing damage. When enhanced with the Incarnate System, it becomes Secret Garden.
- Flower Divination — This special move leads her in the direction of what she needs the most. When activated, a glowing pink-purple rose blooms from her palm which quickly wilts, leaving several dozen petals which line up and float off in the direction of what she needs the most. This judgement is presumably made by the Brain Burst system.
- Unnamed ranged ability – Rose Milady can shoot many 20-centimeter-long spines at her target. This was used to puncture Silver Crow's wings in a battle.
- Secret Garden — An Incarnate skill that is an enhanced version of Ornate Skewering. When activated, the ground becomes covered in leaves, and green vines start growing out of the ground to restrain the target, much like Ornate Skewering. However, it also grows roses which then bloom. The roses all have the same color, and each color carries its own effect:
- Red — Red roses are a straightforward upgrade to Ornate Skewering. Needle-like thorns grow out of the vines to pierce the target, causing physical damage to the target.
- Yellow — Yellow roses cause an electric current to run through the target, causing a paralyzing electric shock.
- Blue — Blue roses have an unknown effect, but presumably has an effect localized enough for allies to safely attack the restrained target.
- Other — Secret Garden can produce roses of colors other than red, yellow, or blue, but their effects are unknown. However, they presumably will affect those nearby the restrained target, making it dangerous for allies to coordinate an attack on them.
- Koshika is a Child of Saffron Blossom, and, together with her other Children which include Orchid Oracle, Centaurea Sentry, and Lavender Downer, make up a group of flower-themed Burst Linkers called the "Flowers".
- Koshika hates her first name "Tsubomi", which means "plant bud", and insists on being called by her last name "Koshika".
- However, the Yen Press translation uses Tsubomi.
- Koshika's tone of voice has been noted to be extremely similar to that of Fuuko
- Accel World Volume 23 Chapter 9
- Volume 21: “. . . [Cosmos] said she’d bring Saffron back once she finishes her research.”
- Volume 23: “One day, [Oracle] was suddenly gone. When I asked the Legion members what happened, no one—not even Cosmos—knew. I could only assume she’d been attacked by a powerful Enemy somewhere and lost all her points. I was pretty upset, and Cosmos promised she’d bring Orkki back someday.”
- Accel World Volume 21 Chapter 6
- Volume 21: “There’s nothing else you can do . . . leave right away with your two friends . . . flee to somewhere with no Enemies and hide there until it’s all over. You three alone might make it.”
- Volume 21: “. . . Rose smiled as though in admiration and closed her eyes.”
- Volume 23: “[Koshika’s voice was] gentle and smooth with a sweetly sour echo.”
- Volume 21: “Her tone . . . reminded him strongly of Sky Raker . . ."
- Accel World Volume 23 Chapter 10