|Ivory Tower||Black Vise|
Ivory Tower (アイボリー・タワー, Aiborī Tawā) is a Burst Linker of the White Legion, Oscillatory Universe, who serves as a proxy for the White King, White Cosmos, during the Pure-Colored King meetings. He is eventually revealed to also be the vice-president of the Acceleration Research Society, Black Vise (ブラック・バイス, Burakku Baisu). In addition, he is also an Originator.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Background
- 3 Plot Outline
- 4 Avatar
- 5 References
- 6 « Characters »
Ivory Tower is a composed individual, showing no sign of intimidation even while in the presence of the Pure-Colored Kings. He is also fiercely loyal to his legion, as shown when he defended it when Black Lotus accused them of being in league with the Acceleration Research Society. However, he has displayed somewhat of a sly side, pressuring Silver Crow on what he did with the Disaster after he purged it.
As Black Vise, Ivory Tower has shown to be very calm no matter what situation arises. He is also quite laid-back, as shown when Silver Crow broke out of his move, Static Pressure, and when Black Lotus appeared and challenged him. He is very knowledgeable in and out of battle and knows his limits in battles while choosing to retreat instead of continuing to fight.
After his true identity was revealed, he dropped the act and began showing his true self. While similar to the two facades he created, his true persona is now far more aggresive and arrogant.
In 2039, the player who would be known as Ivory Tower received the mysterious Brain Burst program, one of the first-generation burst linkers known later as Originators. Using his ability manipulate his body, he eventually assumed an alternate identity named "Black Vise". He was also evidently not interested in the game aspect of Brain Burst. At some stage he also learned about the Incarnate System.
Seeking to discover more about the Accelerated World and its inner workings, he and the like-minded White Cosmos and Argon Array decided to form a organisation they named the Acceleration Research Society in order to carry out their research in secret from the rest of the burst linkers in the Accelerated World. Vise became the vice-president of the Research Society. He also a trusted aide to White Cosmos, later appearing as her proxy during the Pure Colored Kings' meetings.
Within a year of receiving Brain Burst, Ivory Tower, as Black Vise, participated in the ambush on Saffron Blossom alongside White Cosmos and Argon Array. He kept Chrome Falcon pinned down while the Enemy Jormungand killed Saffron over and over again. After Saffron Blossom died, Vise witnessed Chrome Falcon unconsciously use Incarnation to fuse the Destiny and the Starcaster in an act of rage, creating the Disaster. White Cosmos inquired if Vise could contain him and he casually remarked that he could try, but the newly born Chrome Disaster easily broke free and went on a murderous rampage. Vise and his allies then retreated and their involvement was never known to the massacre's only other survivor.
The incident caused the Research Society to consider creating their own Disaster for their own purposes. Ivory Tower took to keeping an eye on the original Armor as it took control of new players, and would ensure that it would continue to pass itself on.
Eventually the ARS's plans to recreate the Armor of Catastrophe began to take shape, and would involve festering a large amount of negative incarnate from dozens of Burst Linkers and placing it into a single player. While White Cosmos manipulated Black Lotus and Red Rider to enable them to take control of the latter to manufacture objects that would make players who used it feed the main unit with the incarnate, Ivory Tower worked to sow discord throughout the Accelerated World through causing small incidents as Black Vise to increase the potential negative incarnate.
At an unknown time, Ivory Tower would gain access to Brain Implant Chips, despite them being illegal, and had one surgically implanted in his own brain. This enabled him to deactivate his Neurolinker and connect to the global net through the BIC, allowing him keep himself off the Brain Burst matching list to avoid unwanted challenges until he activated the Neurolinker to activate the Brain Burst program of his own will. He soon discovered he could use the BIC to decelerate his thought process while accelerated, giving him the ability to experience the normal flow of time without having to wait for months.
Sometime during the two-year period following the union of the Six Kings of Pure Color, Ivory Tower provided Rust Jigsaw and Dusk Taker with BICs so that they could assist him in the Acceleration Research Society's research.
In 2046, Dusk Taker called on Black Vise to assist him in his Sudden Death match with Cyan Pile and Silver Crow. Through use of his deceleration ability, Vise simply had to wait until his associate's opponents arrived in the Unlimited Field. He proceeded to trap Crow with his Static Pressure, rendering him unable to move or talk. Ultimately, Crow broke free of Vise's grip, which impressed him. But before Taker could deliver the final blow to Cyan Pile, the timely intervention of Black Lotus saved him from losing Brain Burst. She then acknowledged Vise, demanding to know who he is. Vise introduced himself as vice-president of the Acceleration Research Society. Lotus asked if he knew Sulfur Pot, to which he confirmed, identifying his Mystical Reins, which Lotus acquired and used to tame a high-level Enemy to enable her duel avatar to travel from Okinawa. Lotus then declared that she has another reason to destroy him. Vise reacted by releasing a boxed trap around her, only for Lotus to quickly slice her way free. She then unleashed her Vorpal Strike attack, which Vise barely held at bay with Layered Armor. Preoccupied, Vise could do nothing but watch as Silver Crow took on Dusk Taker.
The battle ended when Lime Bell used her time-turning healing ability to restore Crow's wings, which were stolen by Taker, enabling Crow to defeat him. His duel avatar reduced to nothing but his left arm tentacles and upper torso, Taker vowed to leak the Nega Nebulous' identities and called to Vise to save him. Vise said he could do nothing, given the current situation. Taker demanded that he do something, threatening to reveal everything about the Research Group and the Brain Implant Chip they use to hide from matching lists. However, Vise revealed that the BIC will dissolve into the cerebrospinal fluid once it senses Brain Burst uninstalling. Vise then retreated, assuring the Black Legion that he has no further quarrel with them, nor knows their real identities, especially to avoid fighting the Black King again. Lotus refused to let him escape, letting out a slash that took off a piece of Vise as he retreated into the shadows.
Ivory Tower appears at the second meeting of the Pure-Colored Kings in place of White Cosmos, and does so in a way that renders him nearly undetectable, even to the Kings assembled there. They introduce themselves very plainly.
At the third meeting, when Silver Crow is confirmed to not have the Calamity Armor in his possession anymore, Tower briefly attempts to ascertain the location of where Crow hid it, but is quickly cut off by Black Lotus.
Ivory Tower is a slender, ivory-colored figure with a simple armor design, and doesn't appear to carry any weapons. It is unclear where his torso ends and his head begins due to his robe-like armor ensuring that his body looks like a pointed tower starting from the chest upwards, but there is an identifiable gap through which one can see his eyes. His armor is also decorated with golden curved lines.
According to Metatron, Ivory Tower's combat ability is inferior to the Kings, but his intelligence is abnormally high.
- The Luminary (formerly) – One of the Seven Arcs; it is a crown and a scepter, with the scepter possessing the ability to take control of any enemy the crown is equiped to. There are two ways for dispelling the ability: destroying the crown or canceling the controller's ownership of the Armament. Despite being lent the scepter by White Cosmos, as the possessor of the crown, she maintains ownership of the Arc.
- Unnamed transformation ability – Ivory Tower can change into Black Vise and vice versa when he uses one of the other form's abilities. This was showcased when Leopard attacked Ivory Tower using Bloodshed Cannon and Ivory Tower retaliated using his Vise form's Layered Armor skill.
- Undercover – An ability that allows him to reduce the presence of himself and others. This ability can be enhanced even further using the Incarnate System, even as a spectator, which amplifies the effect to the point where he can hide himself and other spectators from the starters of the battle or other spectators. This ability in its Incarnate form is strong enough to trick a King.
- Imaginary Time – An Incarnate skill that allows Ivory Tower to cancel other Incarnate skills. This effect expands as a bubble, and duel avatars that the bubble touches will have their Incarnate skills cancelled. Notably, this does not affect Incarnate skills directly, but the duel avatars that create those Incarnate skills, as seen from Black Lotus hitting him with her Vorpal Strike while outside the range of Imaginary Time.
Black Vise can control all of the panels on his body, including altering their mass and density, allowing him to turn any panel he controls into any desired shape and form. His panels are described as being as near-two-dimensional. Whenever he uses an ability, a glowing sphere replaces the panels used.
- Unnamed transformation ability – Black Vise can change into Ivory Tower and vice versa when he uses one of the other form's abilities. This was showcased when Leopard attacked Ivory Tower using Bloodshed Cannon and Ivory Tower retaliated using his Vise form's Layered Armor skill.
- Shadow Lurker – An ability that gives Black Vise the power to meld into shadows. While a shadow, he can move his being from one location to the next, so long as they are connected via a shadow. He also appears to be able to use it as a tunnel system for other Duel Avatars to use, and set up tunnels that open at set times.
- Unnamed restraining ability – As Black Vise, he is able to form a crucifix with his panels that sucks duel avatars towards it and restrains them.
- Layered Armor – This special move summons a row of shields that decreases the damage of any attack that passes the panels in a consecutive fashion.
- Static Pressure – A move intended to crush an opponent between two blocks. It also disables voice commands.
- Hexahedral Compression – An improved version of Static Pressure. This move forms an airtight cube — a regular hexahedron — around a target with his panels. It was impossible to escape even with Chrome Disaster's Flash Blink.
- Octahedral Isolation – An incarnate skill that allows him to form a regular octahedron with a 20-meter side length around his targets, isolating them from the outside. While its vertices are the most vulnerable to breaking, the octahedron can spin around, throwing off anyone attempting to attack them.
- Icosahedral Insulation – A third-stage Incarnate skill that allows him to trap someone using his entire body. His body turns into 20 triangular panels, 3 meters on each side, which form a ring around his targets. It then shrinks, its panels rearranging to first form a hemisphere over them, then to fill out the bottom, forming a regular icosahedron encasing them. This incarnate skill is so powerful that it withstood the flames of Inti for a full 5 seconds. While this is an extremely powerful restraining skill borne of the belief in absolute rejection, it cannot be undone by himself, and would require outside help to break and return him to his regular form.
- Deceleration (unnamed) – He can also decelerate while accelerating in the Unlimited Neutral Field due to a Brain Implant Chip implanted so deep that it can affect his perception of time. This allows him to experience the flow of time of the outside world even while in the Unlimited Neutral Field.
- Accel World Volume 15 Chapter 1
- Accel World Volume 21 color inserts
- Accel World Volume 21 Chapter 7
- Accel World Volume 22 Chapter 3
- Accel World Volume 21 Chapter 2
- Accel World Volume 21 Chapter 5
- Accel World Volume 09 Chapter 8
- Accel World Volume 12 colored inserts
- Accel World Volume 15 Chapter 2
- Accel World Volume 07 Chapter 1
- Accel World Volume 21 Chapter 6
- Accel World Volume 15 Chapter 7
- Accel World Volume 15 Chapter 9
- Accel World Volume 22 Chapter 5
- Accel World Volume 04 Chapter 10