Personality[edit | edit source]
Ash Roller was initially shown to have a violent nature and uses profane actions. He is very arrogant and cocky whenever he has the upper hand in battle although it can quickly change to frustration and more profanity if his enemy changes the situation.
However, during the first meeting of Silver Crow and Sky Raker, his guardian, Ash Roller's personality changes drastically, surprising Silver Crow. He acts more diligent and polite when addressing his guardian as boss as a sign of respect. Raker claims that underneath Ash's arrogant personality is a good guy.
Despite belonging to rival Legions, he still values Silver Crow as a friend, to the point where he has told Sky Raker about every single duel they've had since their second fight. Also, he had no problem with revealing a rival from another Legion the limit of his «Wall Climb» ability and aiding him in his recovery, claiming it to be a "secret operation so that he will eventually betray the Black Legion" when questioned.
Background[edit | edit source]
Ash Roller's real-life identity is that of Kusakabe Rin's older brother, who is currently in a coma. When Rin was working in a cafe, she encountered Kurasaki Fūko, who offered her the Brain Burst application at a later date. Out of the two criteria for installing Brain Burst, Rin did not meet the first (having worn a Neuro Linker since shortly after birth), she tried using her brother's Neuro Linker, which was given to her by the doctors treating him. The reason she tried using her brother's Neuro Linker was that she had worn the Neuro Linker shortly after she was born. Brain Burst was then successfully installed. During Rin's first battle, Ash Roller was watching her fight while not having a physical body. And on his pity and temper on her flawed technique on handling the bike, he went closer to Rin, thus Ash was combined with the avatar and he gained control. Thus, while Rin knows about how Ash Roller spends level up bonuses and is the one in charge of real-life matters, she has no control over his actions inside the accelerated world in any way.
It is known he was also a professional motorcycle racer, which explains his prowess in using his Enhanced Armament from the very start, thus being one of the few Duel Avatars whose abilities match their real-life field of expertise.
Plot Outline[edit | edit source]
Return of the Black Snow Princess Arc[edit | edit source]
In 2046, Ash Roller challenged Silver Crow and was elated to see that he was a newbie and quickly floored him. Silver Crow challenged him later that same day. However, Ash had upgraded his motorcycle to climb buildings when Crow retreated to the rooftops and proceeded to run him over. Crow figured out that the bike was Ash's weakness and managed to lift it from the rear. Given that the rear tire was what was propelling the bike, Ash was effectively powerless. He gave his opponent a rude hand gesture and leaped off his bike to attack, only to meet Crow's headbutt, causing him to lose the duel.
Dusk Robber Arc[edit | edit source]
Sometime after Crow became Accel World's first flying avatar, he challenged Ash randomly while wandering into Green Legion territory. Ash then took note that Crow lacked the motivation to fight due to the loss of his wings to Dusk Taker. Out of pity, Ash decided to let the match time-out draw and told Crow to meet him in Unlimited Accel World. There, Ash took Silver Crow to meet his guardian, Sky Raker, the only person in the world he shows respect towards. When Crow asked Ash why he's helping him, the latter stated in broken sentences about how everyone looks up to him. Crow points out that he's in the Green Legion, to which Ash claimed that this was part of his plan to boost Crow's popularity and get him to join the Green Legion. Receiving a gentle admonishing from Raker, Ash quickly apologized before departing via Leap Point.
Avatar[edit | edit source]
Ash Roller[edit | edit source]
Ash Roller is based off an actual motorcycle biker. His helmet is a skull, and he wears a jacket with shoulder pads with two protruding spikes on each one. Underneath his skull helmet is a somewhat nerdy looking avatar. He also wears long red pants with yellow flames on the front side. His motorcycle is based on the same appearance of a regular motorcycle but with large spikes on each wheel and two large thrusters on the back of his motorcycle.
Enhanced Armaments[edit | edit source]
- Night Rocker – The official name of Ash Roller's motorcycle. While riding on his motorcycle, he can damage his opponents by ramming them. It has two major weaknesses. Its first weakness is his motorcycle's loud sound which is loud enough for enemies to pinpoint his position. Its second weakness is that most of his battle potential lies in his motorcycle which leaves him with little to no battle power by himself. In addition to his two weaknesses, Ash Roller's motorcycle also has a flaw that was exploited by Silver Crow. His motorcycle is based off bikes of the previous century, which use internal combustion engines and rely on a rear-wheel drive. As a result, if one can lift the rear-wheel of his motorcycle, it will render it useless. Recently, Ash has acquired missile launchers via Level Up Bonus to use against Silver Crow.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Vertical Climb – Ash Roller's level 2 ability. It allows Night Rocker to climb up vertical surfaces. It is not foolproof, as a strong wind can blow it off the surface. Its two large thrusters lean downwards, an electric joint occurs from the mid-edge before igniting a blazing thruster motion.
- Flying Knucklehead – Ash Roller's level 4 special move which fires missiles from Night Rocker. The missiles are guided by Ash Roller's sight.
- Howling Panhead – A special move that fires missiles after locking onto the target with a beeping noise.
Techniques[edit | edit source]
- V-Twin Fists: Ash Roller delivers a high right kick against his opponent while his motorcycle is in motion which he sets on the steering once performed. This was a new technique Ash Roller came up with after his defeat against Silver Crow to allow him to fight & not be knocked off his bike by others.
- V Round Attack: Ash Roller stands on his motorcycle with the right leg on the steering, arms right up in a 'V' form. Before he & his bike start to perform an electrical spin attack taking the form of a black haze sphere.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sky Raker has given Ash Roller a few hints about the Incarnate System but has left him to figure it out in his way.
- Ash Roller's motorbike is revealed to be a girl in the real world and her name is Kusakabe Rin.
- Rin makes a cameo appearance at the end of Episode 24 carrying fruits in a bus. She also makes a minor appearance in Vacation, the second OVA.
- Ash Roller also appears in the spin-off manga Magisa Garden.